Friday 4 April 2008

Welcome to the Highlands: Home of... creationism?

Well, I'm a little surprised. Here was me thinking that most of the really dumb religious people were located here in the South. The Press and Journal, however, has proved me wrong with an article proving that, actually, most of the loonies are up north.
It turns out there are cretinists in Inverness, gateway to the Highlands (or whatever the PR material says these days). I always knew that a certain minority of fruit-loops gravitated north, get-away-from-it-allers are a common enough sight in Orkney (where, for the two of you that may not know, I went to school) and we even have our own reasonably crazy monks, but I'd really hoped that the cretinists hadn't made it that far up. The article ends with this little gem:
"Derick Gillies, of the Free Church of Scotland, said there was an unbalanced debate between those believing in creationism and those believing in evolution."
He's right you know. The fact that the cretins get any air-time at all means the debate is already far too unbalanced, away from reality!
Ah well, it's good that they managed to secure a speaker like Dawkins though. You often get the impression that, for the high profile speakers, Edinburgh is as far north as Scotland goes.

3 comments:

artificialhabitat said...

There's a video of Ken Miller addressing the whole 'balance' and 'fairness' thing.

It's rather good.

I know, I know, he's one of them there theistic evolution types, but he's still a good spokesperson for evolutionary biology.

Stephen Bain said...

I watched it. And yes, the man speaks sense. In fact he's up there as the most scientifically sensible Christian I've seen in this "debate" so far.

Laurie said...

Aaaah. Now I think I understand the mc part of mcsceptic.

That Professor Dawkins certainly gets around. It seems like only a couple of weeks ago I saw him give a talk with Lawrence Krauss here in California.

Signed - one of the two.